Friday, August 13, 2010

Lesson Learned


See this bag? It's filled with a loose brown powder. Do you know what that powder is? Or should I say, do you know what it is NOT. It is NOT whole wheat flour, like I thought it was.

It is pre-made muffin mix. It contains flour, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder, among other things. Pre-made muffin mix is a fantastic idea - it means you can make muffins whenever you want to, just add one or two ingredients and boom! muffins! Unfortunately, muffin mix is only good when the user KNOWS it is muffin mix. It is not so useful when the user assumes it is whole wheat flour, and adds it to a recipe (that already contains baking powder, by the way) in quintupled proportions.

Some of you (Mum) may see where I am headed with this.

I am referring to the Zucchini Muffins o' Explodingness that I made the other night, the ones that erupted in my stove and left mounds of carbon on the oven door. It was in this recipe that the pre-made muffin mix was mistakenly assumed to be whole wheat flour. This (awful, stupid, ridiculous) error was discovered by my mother shortly after dinner last night (I had made potato pancakes, which also called for a few tablespoons of flour - thus, the bag of "whole wheat flour" was sitting out on the island).

Mum: Why is this out?
Me: Oh, I used it for the potato pancakes because we're out of white flour.
Mum: ...But...but this is pre-made muffin mix.
Me: ...What?
Mum: Did you....use this for the muffins the other night?
Me: Yes!
Mum: *silence*
Me: *silence*
Mum: Well, that explains it! *imitates batter exploding in the oven to illustrate her point*

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be laughing all day.

    Ask your mother about the baked potato in Bucko's oven.

    I'm still laughing about that one, too.

    ReplyDelete